Spotify good or bad?
Well I just download and installed it under Ubuntu 8.10 using Wine and it works like a charm.
Spotify I see it as a Pandora mixed in with Last.FM, or a new age Napster.
Here is how:
Install Wine(windows emulator)
# apt-get install wine
Configure, check audio
In the DirectSound frame at the bottom enter the following for best sound.
Hardware Acceleration: Emulation
Default Sample Rate: 44100
Default Bits Per Sample: 16
Driver Emulation: unchecked
Install and Run
# wine “Spotify Installer.exe”
# wine “C:Program FilesSpotifyspotify.exe”
Although there is still no Linux native version, people are requesting it help out by also requesting it here
Good things about it:
- Impressive speed, no need to wait to download.
- Can find and listen entire albums, create and save your own playlists.
- Nice GUI interface, easy and simple to use. Does have a Advertiment on the left side.
- Free Music, any music
I find few bad things about it:
- You can only listen stream, the files download to your PC are not readable, no .mp3 are in the cache directory!The work around is to use something like audacity to record a loopback of your audio, but In my opinion is to much work beacuase you would have to stop in each song,save it,name it, plus the lost of quality.
- Advertisment, yes they do have AUDIO advertisement between songs. It can be anoying.
- spotify protocol got Hacked and all passwords got stolen check it out here