By default this isn’t possible to SSH into VMWare ESXi 3.5 or any ESXi Server.
By enabling this you will also be able to easly copy files into the server by using WINSCP,
not as fast as FTP but it does the job. WinSCP also works under Linux by using Wine.
To get SSH working, just do the following:
1. Go to the ESXi console and press alt+F1
2. Type: unsupported
3. Enter the root password (No prompt)
4. At the prompt type “vi /etc/inetd.conf”
5. Look for the line that starts with “#ssh” (search by pressing “/”)
6. Remove the “#” (press the “x” if the cursor is on the character)
7. Save “/etc/inetd.conf” by typing “:wq!”
8. Restart the management service “/sbin/services.sh restart”
Note: If you are running ESXi 3.5 Update 2, the services.sh no longer restarts the inetd process.
You will have to manually kill the inetd process, in order to restart it and enable ssh access
without a reboot. Type “ps | grep inetd” and press “enter”. You will then see something similiar
to “1288 1288 busybox inetd”.
Then write “kill -HUP 1288?, and remember to write the number “ps | grep inetd” returns to you!