Home > HowTo, Nagios, VbScripts > Nagios Check BackupExec

Nagios Check BackupExec

October 23rd, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

I wrote a new way of checking Exchange Backups, simple just needed to check the in AD the “Last time backup” of the Storage Group.  I wrote the much simpler and much more precise script to monitor Exchange Servers Backup. It reports Warning if the backup is > 2 < 5 days, if its over 5 days old it reports CRITICAL.

DOWNLOAD

My Old one:

It is my 3rd custom Nagios NRPE_NT Plugin, so my code is getting better.
Script to Parse Backup Exec logfile .XML (gets based on today’s date)
Calculates how much data was written to Tape and total supposed backup size.
The supposed backup size depends, in our case we backup all Disks but the C:
and so I calculated in a Dynamic way. It Could easily be change to have fixed size.

It takes the percentage comparison between Total Used Space X Total backuped Space
Example Backuped 90% of the supposed space then raise warn if only 70% raise critical!
usage:

check_backup.vbs  <-v 1> -w 80 -c 70
-v 1 -w Warning % of Backuped Space -c Critical % of Backuped Space.

DOWNLOAD

1. Scott
    January 12th, 2009 at 17:40 | #1

I’ve just started using NRPE on windows through the windows nsclient. Similar to what you’ve done here, I’ve made a vbscript that checks something on my windows server. It returns just fine, and in my nagios window I can see exactly the output of the vbscript. What I cant figure out is what do I output from that script to cause a warning or error in nagios. It always things everything is ok.

2. September 22nd, 2009 at 18:46 | #2

Scott, check the source code of other vbs plugins and you will easly identify it.
    Basicly you will need to return a error code 0,1 etc… and/or the words WARNING,CRITICAL,OK
    cheers,
    Felipe

3. Frido
    January 13th, 2010 at 18:40 | #3

Hi Felipe,

I’m very interrested in your script that checks the backup size, but somehow both scripts you are offering check the last Exchange backup date. Only the filenames are different.

Thanks in advance,

Frido.

• January 21st, 2010 at 16:08 | #4

Firdo,
      I first started out developing a script that went to and checked the size of the disk then checked on the log file of the
      backupexec and calcuated how much % was backuped… turn out this idea was not good, complicated and messy, so I never really finished that script.
      so just checking the last backup date (in exchange) was much easier and more efficient.

4. VisMon
    January 4th, 2011 at 10:34 | #5

HI,

you mix “Check Exchange Backup (BackupExec)” with “Check BackupExec Backup Size”. Both is now felipeferreira.net/?p=55. I cant find BackupExec Backup Size, just the Exchange Backup Check.

best regards,

VisMOn

5. November 9th, 2010 at 12:41 | #6

Itzik,
    “hace” means “has been”
    “dias” means “days”

1. No trackbacks yet.
CAPTCHA Image
What is 4 + 6 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is: